Friends – Support Us
Marsden Mechanics is an iconic building in the centre of Marsden. It belongs to, and is run by, the community through Marsden Community Trust. Its survival and vitality relies on crucial support from individuals, businesses and charitable trusts.
We must raise funds to maintain the Mechanics for current use and to secure its future.
The Mechanics is independent and is not aligned with any religious or political organisation. It receives no local or central government funding.
What we’ve done so far
Its ownership transferred from Kirklees Council to the Marsden Community Trust on 31 March 2017, and since then the Trust, with your support, has:
- Improved library facilities
- Created a space for young local musicians to perform
- Provided new offices for Marsden Jazz Festival and Mikron Theatre Co
- Enabled new services to be provided, such as holiday activities for school children
- Installed new signage to advertise community ownership
What we're aiming for
- Top priority is a new or modernised lift to ensure continued access for all to every part of the building – Though the workings and cabin of the lift have now been replaced, we still need to re-paint the doors and surrounds.
- The refurbishment of wood and paintwork, particularly around the clock tower and windows.
The conservation listing of the building and its position close to the road make these core aims tricky and therefore expensive. We are currently pursuing a number of grant funding opportunities and the community response to the recent emergency appeal strengthens our case for these.
If you have skills or experience that you think might be useful in these areas, please contact the members of Marsden Community Trust:
So much more needs to be done to maintain and improve the building’s structure and facilities, to provide a centre for community activities, an affordable venue for a whole range of events and a place for people to create new memories.
Join the Friends
By becoming a Friend you will support our role as the custodian of a well-loved community asset, and help us to achieve our ambition to be a community anchor. Your donation will provide a regular income stream that will help us to provide a place for our community to come together, to celebrate, to learn, and grow.
Become a Friend and enjoy
• Regular updates by newsletter
• An annual celebration
• 10% discount on room hire
• An acknowledgement of your support
• Knowing that your contribution will help the Mechanics thrive
Individuals – from £5 per month / £60 per year
Corporate/organisation – minimum annual fee of £250